Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is." - Jimmy Carter

I read an article on one of my favorite blogs Classy Career Girl about networking. Now, Heaven knows I'm not the most outgoing person, especially when it comes to asking people for things, but this really rang a bell for me. I've never been in a position where I needed other people so much, and not just for their help, but for their experience. I've also developed a complex over the years where I feel bad anytime I ask for help, there's no need for that.
The challenge is to meet up/make contact with with 4 people you know, and 4 people you don't every month in order to expand your network. I've done pretty well so far, I had lunch with two classmates of mine from film school. It was a great opportunity to see how their doing and what actions they are taking to advance their careers, as well as share what I've been up to and get feed back. You never realize how helpful stuff like that really is until your in the thick of it. I'm planning a lunch with another old classmate for next week, and have decided to make a wish list of professionals I'd like to do informal interviews with. I think this is the start of something good. :-)

... AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I'm in L.A. now, I adore this city. It's been really fun driving around and running errands to get the lay of the land. In fact, just this morning I was up in Burbank ordering my very first set of business cards. I feel very professional. lol. I'll have to put pictures up when I get them. I also went to the beach out in Santa Monica with my mom who was visiting. It was a gorgeous day, and I even took a few pictures.


0 comments:

Post a Comment